You can turn stale bagels into addictive snacks instead of paying a bundle in the shops. Here’s a basic recipe. Once you get the idea, try my variations on the theme, or experiment with any type of bagel or seasoning.
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt or kosher salt
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) each: freshly ground pepper, garlic powder
1 bagel, cut in 1/8-inch (3 mm) slices
In small measuring bowl, stir together oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Place half the bagel slices on small baking sheet. Brush seasoned oil lightly but evenly over tops, right to edges. Following manufacturer’s instructions, toast in toaster oven until golden brown at edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack. Wipe baking sheet with paper towel. Brush and toast remaining bagel slices.
Allow bagel chips to cool and crisp, preferably overnight.
• I use a food slicer to cut the bagels and end up with 8 or 9 slices. A mandolin also works. Alternatively, a serrated knife is okay – cut as evenly and thinly as possible, and brush away crumbs.
• When applying flavoured oil, stir it with the brush before each pass to ensure even coverage.
• A toaster oven is perfect for this job. Use the small baking sheet or pizza pan that came with your oven. Alternatively, toast the bagel slices on a rimmed baking sheet in a regular 400F (200C) oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
• Wiping the baking sheet between batches gets rid of crumbs that burn and turn bitter.
• Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper: Brush slices with 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2 mL) cracked pepper over top.
• Italian: Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Italian herb blend to oil mixture in recipe.
• Garlic Basil: Double garlic powder in recipe oil mixture and add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil.
• Smoked Paprika: Omit garlic powder from recipe oil mixture and add 1/4 tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika.
• Curry: Add 1/4 tsp (1 mL) curry powder to oil mixture in recipe.
• Chili: Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder to oil mixture in recipe.
• Cajun: Halve salt in recipe oil mixture and add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Cajun seasoning blend.
• Vegetable: Omit salt and pepper from recipe oil mixture, and add 3/4 tsp (3 mL) Vege-Sal (a seasoning with salt, dried leaf and root vegetables, and kelp) and 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) paprika.
• Honey Mustard: Omit garlic powder and use only a pinch of salt and pepper in recipe oil mixture. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) each Dijon mustard and honey.
• Cinnamon Butter: Brush bagel slices with mixture of 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter, 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon and pinch salt.
Makes 2 servings.
Credit: Susan Sampson
Tested in Imperial