Beef Noodle Soup, made with tofu shirataki noodles and sirloin. Credit: Susan Sampson” />
This Asian-style soup is delicious, hearty, spicy and ready in half an hour. It is packed with tofu shirataki macaroni, crunchy napa, carrot and mushrooms. Bonus: 1 cup (250 mL) contains about 90 calories. Enjoy! (All about shirataki: check my blog.)
8 oz (250 g) tofu shirataki macaroni noodles, rinsed
8 oz (250 g) sirloin, trimmed, cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1/2-inch (1 cm) piece ginger, puréed
1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame oil
2 cups (250 mL) each: low-sodium beef stock, water
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled, cut in matchsticks
4 oz (125 g) mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp (5 mL) or more kosher salt
2 cups (500 mL) chopped napa cabbage
1 tsp (5 mL) sriracha + more to taste
In microwave-safe bowl, microwave shirataki 3 minutes. Drain well.
In small bowl, stir together sirloin, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Stir in sesame oil. Marinate 15 minutes.
In medium pan, bring stock, water and sirloin mixture to boil on medium-high, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Skim and discard scum on top. Return to medium-high heat. Add shallot, carrot, mushrooms and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt. When liquid comes to simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes. Add napa and simmer 1 minute, or until tender-crisp.
Remove from heat. Adjust salt. Stir in 1 tsp (5 mL) sriracha. Ladle into bowls. Drizzle sriracha to taste over each serving.
Makes 6 cups (1.5 L).
- The shirataki for this recipe are measured drained. Water amounts vary by package. About 10% to 20% may be water weight.
- You can use traditional white or brown shirataki noodles instead of the tofu shirataki.
- This soup is also delicious with any kind of rice, wheat or soba noodles.
- Multitask by prepping the remaining ingredients while the beef marinates.
- You can use low-sodium soy sauce.
- Any kind of mushroom is fine in this soup.
Vegan Shirataki Noodle Soup
Use vegetable stock and substitute cubed seitan for the beef.
Credit: Susan Sampson
Tested in Imperial